Wednesday, March 28, 2012

First Days at Home

When we got home from the hospital, my brother and his wife and son were there and they had made us dinner! It was so nice! My grandmother (Braden's "Gigi") was there to meet Landri for the first time, too.


First 2am Feeding @ Home

Time w/Nana

The gorgeous blanket you see was just part of the big purchase I made from a girl (Leslie Bradberry) I played basketball with in high school who does custom embroidery, headbands, tutus, etc. Her shop is called JD's Chic Bowtique and I would HIGHLY recommend her! You'll see lots more of her products in post to come. 

The headband she is wearing below was actually the first gift I received for Landri and it was from one of my students. Her mom made it for her when she heard I was having a little girl. So sweet!

Mommy's Little Angel

2nd 2am Feeding @ Home

One thing I found in the first week after she was born, was that my excitement over having her was like caffeine to my system and I was able to stay awake nearly all night. I didn't want to go to sleep, I just wanted to hold her and looked forward to her waking up in the middle of the night so I could hold her......but that wore off by the third night at home ;-)

On the 27th, we took her to her very first pediatrician appointment.

In The Waiting Room

We saw Dr. Stiles who we had not met before and she was very sweet with her. Landri was still way under her birth weight though at 7lbs 2oz and had somehow shrunk down to 19.5in? Who knows how that happened! Since Landri was still jaundiced looking, the doctor made me increase her formula to 1oz for every 2oz of breastmilk because apparently breastmilk increases red blood cells or something which is hard for the liver to break down and keeps the bilirubin levels high....whatever. All I know is it meant, simply breastfeeding looked like it would never be an option for me. Plus, it meant we had to take her to a facility to get her bloodwork done right then and we had another appt in a few days. If you've never had the pleasure of getting a newborn's blood taken, then let me fill you in: you hold your child down while the nurse holds Landri's heel and pricks and squeezes as hard as she can while the baby screams bloody murder. And it doesn't last just about 10 seconds, no, no, no it's a good minute because she has to fill up multiple test tubes. I made Jay do it because I was bawling just from listening to her suffer and think that no one was going to save her. Plus, we knew that if her levels didn't improve, then we would be going through this all over again in a few days.

We were told that phototherapy at home would help, too. They said to take her outside in the sun with nothing but her diaper on for 20 minutes/3 times day.

Fun in the Sun


Back indoors, we tried out the swing for the first time. Big brother Braden was quite curious about why there was a playground indoors...and why he didn't have one LOL



After a long day, they had some down time with Nana who was staying with us for the next few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment