Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Landri's First Days @ MCA



So far, this birth experience was very different than the one I had with Braden. For instance, I was on maternity leave and missing work. It was weird to think that my students were sitting in my classroom, and here I was about to be cut open with a new life taken out of my body. I also did not want to hurry home like I did with Braden (I was out of the hospital w/in 45 hours of having a C-Section), and was in fact very nervous to go home at all. Plus, I was having lots of mommy-daughter bonding moments that were melting my heart.




I chose to breastfeed, but she was losing a lot of weight and so after the first 48 hours they forced (yes, FORCED against my will...I told them I wouldn't allow it and they said I had no choice because she had lost 10% of her body weight) me to give her formula as well. She went from 7lb 12oz to 6lb 14oz in the first two days. That was kind of an emotional blow, but I wanted her to be healthy so I just did what they said.

Since she was born on a Thursday, I took Braden to daycare that morning and Mom picked him up around 5 to bring him to the hospital. We had him in his "Big Brother" shirt and I had my nice camera there to snap photos of his first moments with her...but he wanted NOTHING to do with her. It was really disappointing, but he did think the hospital was cool (especially the buttons on my bed). It was his first time being in one since he had surgery at 3 months old.



My mom being in town was such a blessing because Jay would take Braden and Mom back to our house to stay the night and then come back to spend the night at the hospital. We were able to really bond with her during these hours, and it was the first time we'd had as a couple in months. He would go grab a dinner snack for us and then we would watch rerun TV (I finally got to watch Big Bang Theory and really like it now!).



The next day, they picked Braden up from daycare again and we tried to get him a little nearer to her. And it was slightly better, but not much. LOL





On Saturday, since we couldn't take Braden to daycare, Mom took Braden to the mall to ride the carousel (Braden's favorite!) and get Bevo repaired (his seam had burst on his back) at Build-A-Bear Workshop.


My cousin, Jaclyn and her roomie Marisol came all the way out to visit us and I was so glad to see her. Somehow, though, I don't have any photos of her being there! Poo :( 
My BFF, Ashley (who was due to have a little boy at the same hospital in the next few weeks) came out to see me also. It was so nice to be around adults again as I had been cooped up with no one but Braden for weeks HaHa.


Braden also had a couple of more hours to bond with her at the hospital.




And he got to have some fun in the bed since I was sick of being in it.





As you can see in the photos, she began to get more yellow and her Biliruben blood test kept getting higher numbers. Thankfully by Sunday, when we left, the levels weren't bad enough to keep her hospitalized and her weight had stopped dropping.

We were finally ready to go home!

Dressing Her for the First Time!

Going Home Outfit

And Her Way-Too-Big Hat :)



Riding Down in the Elevator

Bon Voyage!



No comments:

Post a Comment