Friday, May 18, 2012

Worst Birthday Present Ever

On Monday, the 14th, I finally heard back from the AISD payroll department about how much my maternity leave was actually going to cost. And the number left me reeling. If that number was true, that meant I would get no paycheck for May, June, or August. In fact, it would mean I would owe them several thousand when I left the district in September. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. On top of that, I discovered that the money I was getting from disability insurance was less than $300. 

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. I could not believe this was happening. It would mean we would have no money to put down on a place to live. We would have no money to make our rent. We would run out of savings before the summer was over. 

Why was this happening?

And, of course, the only solution was for me to go back to work when my medical release went through and that was on Thursday. The whole reason I hadn't planned to go back was because I had no childcare options. I didn't think Braden's daycare would allow me to enroll Landri for two plus weeks, or if they even had a spot open for her. My mom was in San Antonio and I couldn't possibly ask her to come up for that long. And even if I did have childcare, I knew we couldn't afford it.

I went into panic mode and all that post-partum baby blues that I thought I had put behind me was suddenly back with a vengeance and I could barely make myself stand up to feed Braden and Landri.

I posted part of my woes on FB and within a few hours, my mom called to say she would be knight in shining armor :) And so did my sister-in-law, Ashlin. She was going to watch them Thursday. Jay would watch them Friday. And then my mom was going to stay with us for two weeks to watch them the rest of the time.

And, once again, the Lord answered my prayers :)

I still was in tears as I drove away from Landri for the first time to go to work. And I still spent my birthday at work. But, it could have been so much worse!

But when I got home, I got a pretty good present!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment